401 N. Main St.
Ellensburg WA 98926
- Newsroom: email@example.com
- Publisher: Heather Hernandez, Hhernandez@kvnews.com
- Editor and General Manager: Joanna Markell, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advertising Manager: Robyn Smith, email@example.com
- Circulation Manager: Josh Crawford, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Daily Record has provided local news to Kittitas County for more than 100 years, and has evolved to keep pace with a changing media landscape. Getting out the news today involves a six-day-a-week print edition, a website, mobile devices, social media and more. The newspaper is published in the afternoon Monday through Friday with a weekend edition on Saturday mornings.
The newspaper marked its 100th anniversary in 2009. Former publisher J.C. “Cliff” Kaynor and William S. Zimmerman took over the Ellensburg Localizer and changed the name of the paper to the Evening Record on July 1, 1909. The name of the paper was changed to The Ellensburg Daily Record on April 23, 1938. On March 14, 1973, the paper dropped “Ellensburg” from its official title to become “The Daily Record” and added “Serving Kittitas County” to better reflect its coverage of the entire county. Later, the paper was among the first to move into the computer age. It was the second daily newspaper in the state to install computer terminals to replace typewriters. The newspaper was sold to its current owner, Pioneer News Group Co. in 1996
Local market surveys have shown the Daily Record newspaper to be the No. 1 source for news and advertising in Kittitas County. The paper’s combined print and online market penetration is at the highest point in its history; nearly 82 percent of the local market has read the print or online edition in the past 30 days.
The Daily Record received the following awards in 2013:
SPJ Northwest Excellence in Journalism awards 2013
- Health reporting: Barb Owens, third place, “Healing horses” about a equine therapy program.
Washington Newspaper Publishers Association 2013
- General excellence: first place for newspapers with a circulation of 5,001 to 12,750.
- Topical non-tourism special sections: second place for Almanac 2013: Game Change
- Best breaking news story: first place, staff, Taylor Bridge Fire.
- Best education story: second place, Justin Pittman, comparing school costs
- Comprehensive coverage of a single issue or series: first place, staff, wildfire coverage 2012
- Best sports feature: third place, Josh Petrie, WestStar Ranch: Home away from home
- Spot news photography: second place, Brian Myrick, horse EVAC
- General news photography: first place, Brian Myrick, fire camp
- General news photography: second place, Brian Myrick, fresh bite
- Color pictorial: first place, Brian Myrick, lightning storm
- Color photo essay: first place, Brian Myrick, summer wildfires
- Photographer of the year: first place, Brian Myrick.
- Miles Turnbull photo of the year: first place, Brian Myrick, fire camp